Tuesday, October 07, 2008

From check-up to preterm labor!

Today 10/7, I came to UNC for my weekly check-up only to be admitted for the night. My cervix is very short, I am dilated 1 cm and I was having contractions and didn't know it. I have been hooked up to the monitors since 11am this morning. I have been given magnesium to stop contractions, steroids for the girls lungs in case delivery is soon, and all the other fun stuff that goes with being admitted to a hospital. The magnesium is working and the girls are looking great on the monitors. They measured in at 1 lb 13 oz for baby a (tumor) and 1 lb 6 oz for baby b which is steady progress. No negative changes in their fluid and doppler readings. I am so excited about the weight gains for both! We are really pushing for getting to next week, week 28 which will greatly increase the odds of survival and greatly decrease the odds of defects and problems later in life.

I have had a few contractions since but nothing of concern and I should be off of the magnesium at 11pm and then I can finally eat for the first time since 7am. I will make my way out of labor and delivery into another room to sleep tonight. I will receive another steroid shot in the morning and if all goes well and it's looking that way, I will be released and making myself comfortable here in Chapel Hill at mom and dad's house until delivery. If I don't have anymore noticeable issues I will be back for a check-up next Tuesday 10/14.

Update: Who knew a hospital turkey sandwich could taste so good at 11pm! I finally made it out of labor and delivery and into my other room to get some sleep at midnight, didn't fall asleep until sometime after 1am and here I am at 5am wide awake.

I am settled in at mom and dad's. My checks this morning were good and they sent me on my way at noon.

Keep checking back.

2 comments:

Sprinkle said...

I love this website. We will continue to pray for you and your family. Please let us know if you need anything.

connie said...

Talked with Dianna earlier today and she told me about the blog. You probably told us before but we didn't remember !

Miss seeing you walking. Hope things are going well.

Please let us know if we can help out in anyway. Tell Tanner that Vernon needs someone to play ball with !

You are in our thoughts and prayers.

Vernon and Connie